Add to cart
Choose the quantity and add the coin to your cart before placing an order.
Description
The city was first mentioned in historical chronicles in 1275, when the Livonian Order started building a stone castle in Dinaburg on the site of an earlier Latgalian wooden fortress. In 1561, after the collapse of the Livonian Order, Dinaburg became the centre of the Polish voivodeship of Inflanty and acquired its own coat of arms. In 1577, the army of Tsar Ivan the Terrible ravaged Dinaburg, and a new castle was built 19 km away from the old one, on the current site of the Daugavpils Fortress. In 1582, the Polish king Stefan Batory granted the city Magdeburg rights.
Throughout the ages and under different rulers, the city changed its name several times: Dinaburg, Borisoglebsk, Dvinsk. After the establishment of the Republic of Latvia, it became Daugavpils. Today it is the second largest city in Latvia and a modern centre of economic growth, education, science, culture and services in the Eastern Baltic region. Citizens and guests of the city feel comfortable in Daugavpils.


